3/30/11

DC trip part:1

After college I decided that I wanted to take time and travel and enjoy life for a bit while I decide what I want to do, where I want to live, etc. Thus far I've spent a 10 days at Walt Disney World while there running my first marathon, gone on the Disney Dream cruise and now I've been to Washington D.C. I have a cousin who lives there that wanted me to come visit and run a race there with her. This was a fantastic trip and I would recommend that every American makr their way there at some point in life.
I flew up on 3/24 and got in in the late after noon.
My cousin and I caught up and then went to a beautiful Thai restaurant for dinner. I love Chicken Pad Thai!
Friday our first stop was the National Half race expo. It was really crowded! Not one of my favorite expos but as long as I can get my Gu I'm good. Mint chocolate of course ;)
Then we made our way to the Capitol building. I had arranged a tour through my congressman. I would recommend doing this because it saves time while you're there. This tour was amazing. Before it starts they show you an inspiring video. Just the thought of all the decisions that have been made for our country there made it such a special place. This has been there since almost the beginning of our government. The architecture was so beautiful inside and out.
Next stop was the Museum of American History. It is one of the many buildings that are part of the Smithsonian. Here we saw some great things from pop culture like this Dumbo from Disneyland...
...Dorothy's Ruby Red Slippers...
...Some original Muppets...
...Nastia Liukin's 2008 Beijing leotard. Which reminds me: it's almost 2012!! Who else is obsessed with the Summer Olympics? :D...
...Michelle Obama's Inauguration gown...
...C3PO and an old Mousketeer Hat.

The BEST thing I saw here, and possibly the coolest thing I saw in DC, was the Star Spangled Banner. Yes, the one Francis Scott Key saw and was inspired to write our National Anthem by. It. Was. HUGE! It was in the shape of more of a square now though due to it's deteriorating and the family that owns it giving pieces of it away long ago.



4 comments:

  1. I love love love DC! I always wish I could stay longer and explore more. Your post reminds me that I need to write to my Congressman for a tour of the White House in October! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post, Nicole! I love Washington, D.C. and really miss it since moving to Florida.

    And yes, I, too, am very much looking forward to the Summer Olympics! Since I got into running less than a year ago, this will be the first Summer Olympics that I pay attention to the track events. I now have a better understanding and much respect for what those athletes do.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay for your DC trip! :) I love DC and really need to get back there. I've got good friends up there and just need to find the time for a trip. The Smithsonian is one of my favorite places to go.

    I also love the summer Olympics!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awesome post Nicole!! I'm so jealous of you and your travels! I live the pictures from the museum. Very cool! Can't wait to hear about the race :)

    ReplyDelete

x0x0,
N