10/12/10

Soul Food

I have a really inspiring professor this semester that has a fantastic outlook on life. Basically-I want to be him when I grow up. He shared this quote with us from a Nelson Mandela speech written by Marianne Williamson:

"Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous? Actually, who are younot to be? You are a child of God. Your playing small does not serve the world. There is nothing enlightened about shrinking so that other people won't feel insecure around you. We are all meant to shine, as children do. We were born to make manifest the glory of God that is within us. It's not just in some of us; it's in everyone. And as we let our own light shine, we unconsciously give other people permission to do the same. As we are liberated from our own fear, our presence automatically liberates others."

So beautiful.

Here is a quote from a theatre for social change project I finished up today. This is a sensitive subject for me.

"Hatred, judgment, selfishness and exclusion seem to be all too popular in our society today. The social issue I would like to tackle is acceptance. We see it really take over in high school and it continues on later in life in college, the work place and other social gatherings. Learning to love people for their differences is a learned skill but is priceless when acquired. Imagine how much more peaceful our world could be if we honestly accepted people for who they are."

Also--if you have never heard of them please check out the Vitamin String Quartet. They are a fabulous instrumental group that covers mainstream music. Def worth a listen.. click HERE to hear my favorite song from them.

Have a blessed day

xo
N. Joy


3 comments:

  1. Both are very beautiful quotes. Thank you so much for sharing.

    It hurts my heart to see so much hatred and intolerance in the world. It is not our job or position to judge but only to love and accept. I wish more people were capable of doing that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think the quote are very inspirational and beautiful! :) We have to believe in ourselves!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post! I found your blog when I was looking up some stuff for the Disney Princess half since I will be running it in Feb. Looks like you've done several Disney races, how cool! Glad I found this!

    ReplyDelete

x0x0,
N